Tuesday, June 22, 2010

NC Reppin' | Collector Spotlight | Robert Curl



Name: Rob aka Mr. Factory Fold aka The "Future" King of Kicks

NikeTalk/ISS Member Name: N/A

Current City: Butner, NC

Age: 30

How many Pairs do you own currently?
Right now I am back up to around 145-150 I was up to well over 200 at one time and started selling some of them that I really wasn't that attached to so I could streamline my collection to shoes that are more limited.



What is your most prized possession within your collection?
The most prized possession in my collection is definitely my UNC Jordan 15 SE's Autographed by the 2009 NCAA Championship team. I was lucky enough to be there in Detroit at the Championship game with floor seats so all that combined with the fact I've become friends with alot of the guys on the team makes that pair real special to me, it's one that I will never sell or get rid of, I did have 2 pair but I sold the other one...

As far as the other shoes in my collection my favorite is the BRED Jordan IV's. The white/red is my ALL TIME favorite but I sold the ones with Mars on the side because I just didn't like the way it looked but those were the ones that got me started loving shoes. before those all I would get is K Mart kicks like "Voits" (actually had a pair that looked just like the IV's) that my boy Chad always picked on me about but it never really bothered me cuz I didn't know anything other than that, but when I saw those IVs at Foot Locker that night at Northgate Mall I begged for them and my mom bought em for me and that was the start of a long beautiful relationship with shoes.


What do you regret sleeping on, that you still don’t have till this day?
I don't know if I could say i "slept" on them because I went and bought 10 pair the day they dropped, but when the Tiffany SB's came out one of my boys had me go pick up 6 pair from one store and 4 more pair from another then when he came down from VA to get them he just paid me the money back.... Well at the time I had really not been collecting or nothing like that and the shoe game was really just starting to get big again so I didn't keep not even 1 pair for myself and I almost cry every single time I think about it.....

Where do you normally purchase your sneakers from?
I normally get them from Vertical Urge since I'm more into Limiteds now and thats where the most drop at, but I get stuff sometimes from Footaction and Foot Locker, and if there is something hot online I want then I'll hit up the usual spots RMK or PYS

What is the most you’ve ever spent on a pair?
I believe the most for 1 pair is the Jordan 2k9 S23 Special Editions. I think they were $225 or something like that but if I don't get a pair of shoes at retail then I just don't get them... I honestly don't have much respect for certain collectors that just take mom and dads credit card and get on the internet and buy their "collection" like that. Some people might get offended by that statement but when a hot pair of kicks is coming out if I gotta wait in line for 4-5 hours or drive hours away to get them so I can get them for the retail price then I will hustle and do it, I grind for my shoes in my collection and anybody at the stores or that knows me will say the same thing.

What is your favorite Sneaker Brand?
My favorite brand is easily Nike, I'd say that including Jordan Brand under the Nike umbrella...



Do you collect a variety of Brands?
I have a few other pair, like some Supras, Reebok Pump Retros and a couple pair of Vans but I'm 95% Nike/Jordan some other brands put out some nice stuff tho

What model do you like to collect the most, Jordans, Air Force 1’s, Air Max, SB, etc?
I had a goal to collect at least 1 pair of all 23 pair of Air Jordan models that had ever came out, so I did that and during the process got turned on to SB's, then it seemed like Jordan Brands quality started slipping and the whole Fusion crap really started turning me off to Jordans anymore since I have what I wanted plus a lot more. So now I'm really mainly into Nike SB's I like that they have themes to the QS releases and the quality stays good and is getting better because they're built for skaters... I still love Jordan but like I told a friend the other day it gets to a point to where it's like why do I have 20 pair of dead stock Jordan 1s?


When did you notice that you were a fiend for Sneakers?
When I started my mission to collect 1 of each Jordan, it really struck me how much I loved sneakers.

Any fond memories of you collecting?
When I was in I think 10th or 11th grade, the Jordan XIIs came out in the white/obsidian (or navy blue whatever you want to call it) colorway and I skipped school to go get them and came back at lunch time rockin em and had everybody wanting to know how I got em already.

Do you like to be called a Collector or a Sneakerhead, or does it even matter?
I guess collector, sneakerhead to me is a term to describe somebody who freaks out over shoes and I ain't like that.....



What do you think of the Sneaker Culture(supposedly it's not a culture according to DJ Clark Kent) in NC?
I think it's slept on a whole lot because theres some people with big collections in NC that collect on the low, but most people in the area are completely out of the loop when it comes to exclusives. I don't even bother wearing my kicks because most people will see em and think it's fake so we really need to make sure the people in NC know about kicks before we worry about other states and places giving us respect...



Do you think NC will ever get its respect that it deserves in sneaker collecting?
Hopefully it will, most people don't think of NC as a big state for collecting but if we can get some more stores like House of Hoops and some boutiques then word will spread... I think right now there are a few collectors in NC known for what they got but not as many as it could be....



Sidenote: Be sure to donate a dollar or 2 to Robert's "Kicks Collectors Against Scandalous Women", to help pay for his Divorce Lawyer Fund. Send it to nckingofkicks@yahoo.com on PayPal, every little bit of it helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment